Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The one with murtabak...

I cant remember the last time I felt nervous at a show, but last Saturday during Family Affair II, I was super nervous. I couldnt sleep the night before and the whole time I was online on MSN, almost everyone I know who usually come to my show, told me they're not coming. The admission is too expensive, they say. $10 with a free mixtape for a good SG & MY showcase? I think its affordable. But still, most of my audience are teenagers still schooling so I had to understand them.

Left home at 10am that day, to get a carton of mineral water and print some stuff at the internet cafe because my printer was being a jerk. As usual when I reached Chamber, no one was on time for set-up and Roy, the driver, was early. So I left Chamber to pick up the first group of the Malaysian artiste. There were 3 groups btw, and thank god, everyone reached Singapore safely. Then we had our lunch, courtesy of Fai, and the sight of the performers eating together backstage was really nice. I felt proud for a while.




I checked in The Rogue Squadron boys at a hostel while Deena & Ili at a hotel nearby. The hostel was pretty decent, very clean and they have comfortable beds. Then we head back to Chamber and by the time we reached there it was already 5pm. Show was suppose to start in 30 minutes time, but unfortunately we had to delay a little bit. Show began at 5.40pm instead and there was barely any audience. I was worried like hell. Ruxta spinned till 5.50pm, and then slowly while the Proteges were performing, groups of people started coming in. By 6.30pm, the floor level seats were packed.




Everytime at my event, I have this habit of walking around just to make sure everyone is comfortable and feeling good. Its like a habit already and no, I'm not looking for attention. At the same time, I usually check on any performers too. To me, if you're interested in performing or even the scene, you would come and support it. And if you cant, you would probably give a shout-out to the organizers. Well, my style is simple. Like how the saying goes, you want respect, you gotta give respect; you want shows or people to come to your shows, you gotta come and support the others too. That is called manners. Simple right? Nevertheless, it was nice to see some old cats coming down to support the show.




The show lasted till 8.45pm. Highlight to me was of course The Rogue Squadron and Dose Two. There is this crew in TRS, they are called SSK, super crazy performance with witty malay rhymes. Cool. All the audiences stood up for Dose Two who performed last. Not forgetting the SG cats, they all did great and I'm proud of them boys.

Me and TRS went for supper at Zam Zam. Apparently, they all got love for our local murtabak here. After that, I brought them to Arab St, a usual routine after every event, for some sheesha and vanilla coke. I think they were quite shocked when they saw Singaporeans sitting down on carpets smoking sheesha. But thats how we do it here, nah mean? After that they walked back to their hostel and along the way Hqa had a leg cramp. Haha! I returned back to Arab St to meet Dose Two and the boys and then all of us crashed over my place. Laughed like mad with Alif and Syarif till 5.30am and I cant remember what happened after that. I woke up at 1pm on Sunday with a dead phone and no charger, one of the worst things that could happen.

Until today, I'm still not over the show. It was one of the shows where I didnt expect too much, but the performers made it a memorable one. It was one my best shows. So thank you guys for everything.

I have one more event before I take a short break for more personal things that I need to handle and my own music. Please make yourselves free on 14th June for 65 & Hope Anniversary party cum award show. More information will be up soon or you can check out www.65hope.com. Till then, peace!

No comments: