Friday, May 09, 2008

The one with one more long post...

There have been so many talks about Singapore Hip-hop lately. Well, I shouldnt exaggerate it, there are a few, but two of them really kind of triggered me to write this and share with you what I think about the scene. One was Imran Ajmain, the founder of Beats Society and the other one was Rizal, founder of Resurgence/Divine Aura/Hip-hop Fellowship (wow, that's quite a mouthful eh). In case you dont know, I'm Freaky Z, and I run 65 & Hope with the help of my lovely friends and loyal supporters.

Let me tell you what I think about Hip-hop. To me, its a culture, but most of all to me its MUSIC. From how you speak, to what you wear, to what music you make. I didn't like rappers who talk about blings, sex, money, guns, and when I first started out, I thought to myself, these rappers are destroying the image of hip-hop. I always like the lyrical and poetic bit of hip-hop music. But I grew out from that mindset. The first gangster rapper I listened to was Dr. Dre. I looooove his music, from the bassline to the sound of his West Coast signature. I started to read about hip-hop, from the Bronx to where it is now, and I personally think that Hip-hop itself have grown so much and now I understand what it is all about. Bottom-line is, Hip-hop is YOU. How you want it to sound, what you wanna talk about, what you want to wear and how you portray yourself as a rapper/emcee. Dont let anybody stereotype what Hip-hop music is. Find your sound, write what you want and do your own music. Hip-hop is self expression.

Imran posted about why Singapore Hip-hop wont really thrive, last two weeks on his website. I read it and I got frustrated at first, especially when my 65 & Hope was doing something for the scene. But he had some points which are true. Its hurts, but its true. I talked about it during Protege, telling every one in Chamber that as long there are people who come to my shows and support the performers, I will still run 65 & Hope and do events. This is one of the ways I can contribute to the scene. The only thing I hate about his post was how egoistically he does not acknowledge the existence of the rappers/emcee here, who are still doing their part for the scene. Then there are people, who kept asking me what happen to Beats Society, and there are soooooo many rumours about what I said. Now I'm gonna say it here once and for all. I dont know what happen and I dont care. For the past 4 years, BS has helped me, groomed me and gave me opportunities, and I'm really thankful to them for that. Now its just me as an independent artiste and 65 & Hope is my baby for the scene. Period.

A few weeks after that, Rizal posted something on his website. He wrote an inspiring post about being an independent artiste. But weeks later, after Protege, he started to voice out differently about what I do for the scene. I spoke to him on MSN, and I didnt manage to convinced him to actually get my point and views. I even offered him if he wants to do a monthly show with me, with what he thinks the scene needs. We were cool that time. But last few days, he posted some other article that really pisses me off. So I'm going to make this really clear for him, and I know he's going to read this, because he spends most of him time at home in front of the PC telling people what he thinks the scene needs.

1) 65 & Hope is not Beats Society, and we dont plan to be an authoritive figure for the scene.
I think there are many other hip-hop organization in the scene right now. Bedsty, DelStellars, Skratch Entertaiment, and the lists go on. I dont have any intentions to stop any of them and ask them to listen to what I say or do. Though it would be really nice if we could work together. So far Bedsty has helped me in some shows especially getting Leo37 and many families, like Da Fam, especially FeeKeeD, has hustled so much for me. DelStellars is having a show on the same day as my Floetry this month, and I'm glad for them. I have no plans to actually stop them or even not support their show. Like you said, the scene does not need one organization to run it. Good for you, you have three organization. Bottom-line is, you want to work with us, we welcome you with open arms. You dont to work with us, then its ok. We will still do our part for the scene.

2) My shows are too long and draggy, and the XS boys are always performing? I never plan for my shows?
Yes, the XS boys are my family and I have to admit, at every one of my shows, I have one or two to represent the family. Same goes for the other families. I've had one each from Da Fam, DSC, WDC and this coming Floetry, Sweetwrappers (RVN) is performing. All I asked for if anybody wants to perform is to email me and if they have a song, attach it. Occasionally, I've personally asked people if they want to perform, and let me be honest here, I've never paid any of the artistes, so sometimes there are some rappers who dont want to perform without payment. I respect that, seriously. About planning, yes, I've made some boo-boo at shows and I thank everyone who shared opinions about them. The first show last year June, was long and draggy. Then Family Affair was good, only less crowd. My album release was very good. Then Definition was slightly draggy and then Protege was the best. We ended the show on a high note. You probably dont know, cause you weren't there. And its funny you talk about what my show needs, when you're the one who needs help with your show at Republic Poly last year. Remember?

3) People feel like aliens attending to gigs, because we all know each other? We are all superstars and our fans are our friends?
Well, you have a point about some of the performers not being so humble. I have to admit, I've met and I know many of them. I think you have some personal grudges with some people in the scene. Instead of writing, you should tell them instead. If you want to talk, I can give u a 10 minutes slot at my show, and tell them what they need to improve on. They probably dont know you see. And whats wrong with having friends as our fans? Thats how it all start, bit by bit, friends will tell friends, and there your music will grow. And I've never made anyone feel like an alien on my show. If you know anyone that feels like an alien coming to my show, tell me, I'll convince them that they're human.

4) Protege - same faces, no new talents? Is there any difficulty in spotting for the new kids?
Yes there is, I dont get to hear any new music from somebody new in the scene. I dont get emails from them wanting to perform. Why should they email me? That's how it works; I email organizers to get shows. Sometimes they will call me, sometimes they dont know. If I want something, I ask, its simple as that. And yes I'm about quality, if they're not good, I wouldn't want to put them on a show and end up people laughing at them. And when I say its not good, it means musically, not in hip-hop term. Protege was
meant for newbies and I did emphasize, anyone can join. My main point is, I want to stop the cycle of performers performing one time and then thats it, go on a hiatus for 1 year or more. I want to keep them moving. After the programme is over, I will make sure they keep moving. I have things lined-up for the 7 Proteges, from videos to EP. I will help these individuals and will give advice to them, as a performer. But its up to them really to listen or not. I will not stop them if they get outside shows, I will not sign them and most of all, I will not stop their creativity. I support good local hip-hop music, no matter what kind of hip-hop. But if they're not good, I will tell them, and its up to them to take it as constructive comment or a diss. Many rappers started out without support and bad music, but we all chose to improve ourselves and work on it.

I do not aim to be a role model in the scene, I just want to help and of course be recognized for some good that I've done. When people talk about Singapore Hip-hop, I want my name to be the first few they mention. Its been the same goal ever since I started performing. With 65 & Hope, I want to do shows, because personally I think gigs/events are one of the best ways to get your music out to the public. Other than that, I have a home studio available for recording, I can do some beats for rappers and I can help spread the word about your music on my site. That's all the contribution I can give to the scene. I've realised that being an independent artiste is better and music can never be a full-time job to some.

Many rappers keep talking about Nas's album title, Hip-hop Is Dead and keep relating it to the state of hip-hop in the scene. I think you're all stupid. It was just a way of him getting some promo about his album. Hip-hop is not dead, and it will not die. Its just the mind of an emcee. Our hip-hop scene is growing and it will grow bigger. And for as long as I run 65 & Hope, I will contribute to the scene. I dont care what hip-hop music you do, if its good local hip-hop music, you have my full support.

As for you Rizal, you're more talk than action. You're taking thing too seriously, that it's no longer fun my friend. And I thought you said Hip-hop should be fun? Well, if you like to debate with me more, I can arrange a slot for us both to talk about hip-hop scene in Singapore at one show. Lets speak publicly. Holla!

1 comment:

Tjut Roslinda said...

Hi there,

it's Linda from Club Mosh. well...actually, I have shifted department and won't be doing Club Mosh anymore. Sheila will be handling bands and artistes from now on.

i'm commenting here cos i just realised that u might know maisara too! she was my senior in nyp.

have a good one at the launch tomorrow yeah? :)